Sunday, July 30, 2006

Help please

My relationship with my father has not always been what people could call "good". (It tends to be a side effect when you are a controlling, abusive figure in a child's life).

But, he sobered up, and now realizes that he's messed up (although I'm not entirely sure if he knows exactly what he messed up about) and now is trying to piece together the family, albeit in his own, incredibly dense way.

The problem with this dense way is we tend to talk past each other. Way past each other: like not even in the same language are we talking past each other.

So, in attempt to fix this rift, I have been trying to figure out a book I could get him, sort of an introduction to feminism. Does anybody know any good starter books, preferably written to non-acedemic, 1970's men? Talking about the "wage gap" and "glass ceiling" "patriarchy" "mommy track" and "rape statistics" tend to make him confused and start his eyes glazing over.

Any help would be appreciated (and if it's less than 20 dollars and 1000 pages, it would be really appreciated.)

1 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger Noumena said...

I'm afraid I don't have any decent recommendations, either -- all my books are by and for academics -- but you could try asking Hugo or Amp if you're looking for an intro targetted at men specifically.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home