Monday, September 04, 2006

TAGGED!

The lovely Happy Feminist has tagged me to completely a book survey. Since I have a huge blog-crush on Ms. Feminist, I could not turn her down if she asked for all my worldly possesions; so a short survey is no problem. Onwards:

1. One book that changed your life?
Childcraft: Once Upon A Time

When I was little, my family had limited means (or to put it another way, we were poor-ass broke). However, my mom still wanted to make sure that I was getting a good start in life, so she sold encyclopedias for childcraft. This meant that I got to field test all of the new toys, but also after she sold a certain number, she got a set free. Then, on top of that, she read to me every night: I had the book memorized (including where to turn the page) before I ever knew how to read. I think this contributed to my reading comprehension abilities and my love of learning, but the book also represents my mom's ingenuity.

2. One book you have read more than once?
The Handmaid's Taleby Margaret Atwood

This book still scares the ever-living daylights out of me. A feminist's nightmare, but really a nightmare of anyone who values humanity and autonomy. I get scared every time I see the parallels between this dystopia and the world some groups are trying to create.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
I absolutely refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it is impossible. This is like asking which is my favorite sibling, it just isn't done.

4. One book that made you laugh?
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Friend

This is a semi-blashemous story seeking to explain where Christ was between the ages of 12 and 32. It is narrated from Biff's point of view, and it is a lot closer to the version of Christ I always thought of back when I was Christian. I laugh out loud every time I read it; it has some great dialogue and running gags (Oh look, a seagull).

5. One book that made you cry?
I get so involved with books, that most of the sad ones make me cry. But, the first one that made me cry (that I can remember and even though it's cliche) is
Where the Red Fern Grows.

6. One book you wish had been written?
The Dummy's Guide to Feminism, or "Feminism for Baby Boomer Rural Men". I still haven't found anything useful to give my dad as a primer.

7. One book you wish had never been written?
Oh, I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this one. I wish that most of the Bible hadn't been written. If it was up to me, I would cut out Hosa, Elijah, Isaiah, anything written by Paul, and Timmothy. I hate their work with a undying passion becuase they are the ones that contribute to dumbass things like "Women cannot have headship over a man" and "Women are less valuable then men (and given a dollar amount)". Ick, get rid of their hateful screeds, and I'd like the Bible better.

8. One book you are currently reading?
FAA FAR/AIMS. What, I'm a Avit 102 student, so sue me.

9. One Book you have been meaning to read?
I wish to read more feminist scholarship.

Well, I'll tag:

DVD Pirate

4 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger Good Ol' Boy said...

Were those Childcraft encyclopedias by the people that made the World Book Encyclopedia? I would sit for hours reading them when I was a wee lad..

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Teddy said...

Nine seemingly random letters...

Federal Aviation Administration's Federal Aviation Regulations and Airman's Information Manual for those who don't speak prop. The AIM is good reading, I enjoyed the segment on how to fly through a thunderstorm.

TRH

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...wait, what?

ah jeez. K.

TRH

 
At 4:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, major blush!

I am definitely going to read the Gospel According to Biff! Just the title is hilarious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home