Saturday, September 16, 2006

Walking

Sorry, faithful readers (both of you) for not posting lately. The begining of the school year has taken a chunk of time away from me.

However, one thing has really been bothering me lately. First, my bike was stolen (thanks a lot asshole, I hope you like your 50-dollar, three-year-old bike with a busted back break a lot). Secondly, the weather has been wonderful, and I can't enjoy it like I want to.

I would like to be able to walk from my house to school in the morning. I want to be able to enjoy the nice warm weather that sadly will sensibly move south for the next season (some doubt my sanity in staying here after the snow, and because of my addiction to alliteration). Unfortunately, to get to school from my house, I have to walk down University Avenue, past many, many fraternity houses. And how do I loathe the frats.

Aside from the fact that I think the Greek community adds nothing to campus life and reinforces the status quo, I loathe the frats in particular because it seems I'm not allowed to walk by them unmolested. Stares are not uncommon, and neither are catcalls. Occasionally I get snide remarks or noises.

Although it shouldn't make a damn bit of difference, I am not wearing anything particularily revealing OR unflattering. Jeans, and some sort of t-shirt are my "style" as it were.

I don't know why guys like these feel they have the right to stare at me, or feel the need to make comments. It's annoying, and it shows a level of entitlement that goes well beyond rude. I have just as much right to walk down a public sidewalk as them.

So, for every random frat boy who's shouted out to a woman, or for every guy who felt moved to remark "nice rack" to a perfect stranger: stop it. It's not a compliment, it's not flattering, it's not nice: it's annoying, rude, and overly entitled. Quit pretending to be macho at my expense. Quit feeling like my day will not be complete if you don't remark about what you feel my attractiveness level is. We're in college now, arguably as adults, and you are still acting like you have to impress your friends by pulling the girl's pigtails.

6 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger Goddess Cassandra said...

Hmm, this sounds like a good topic for a blog-post in and of itself. But, the short answer would be that no one calls them on it.

Most people agree that some things are rude. Somebody talking through a movie, for instance, would be rude but not entitled because I guarentee that the people around them and probably their friends would react with haste.

This is entitled because no body calls them on it. Not only is it allowed, it is encouraged by the friends around them. They feel entitled to make comments about my body, because they may not even feel it's rude. There is no negative consequences for them, and in fact a lot of positive ones.

That would be the difference, I think

 
At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this has nothing to do with anything, but I was wondering if you knew anyone in Grand Forks with my last name, Landowski. My father is from Grand Forks too - and I was just wondering if you knew of any that were left. :-)

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Mookie said...

I don't like frats and don't like it when men blatantly oggle women.

As for you use of the word "entitled", I thought you meant that the males feel "entitled" to look at you with greasy eyes. As if it were their right to be able to make you feel like an object. Males like that don't deserve testicles.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

You must know about HollabackNYC (here: http://hollabacknyc.blogspot.com/). Seems like similar tactics are in in order at your school.

P.S. I found your site through the comments on Barbara Ehrenreich's blog. I liked what you had to say, so followed the link.

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Graeme said...

Guys need to reassert their manliness whenever possible. Especially when we are in groups. I doubt you get many people screaming comments when they are by themselves. Well, maybe. people in frats think different than normal people.

It is the same part of the brain that makes this asshole sit out in front of my apartment and rev the engine on his piece of shit pickup over and over again at 11:30 at night. I am a dude and I honestly don't get the point of it. I mean, your fucking pickup is on, it has an engine, it is loud. We get it. Now piss off and go inside.

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

boys will be boys, well at least untill they turn into men. I will admit to looking at certain women from time to time. Although I never made any lewd comments. I have sisters, so I know what hell they can bring a man.
Boys in groups are bad, frat boys in groups are terrible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home