Tuesday, June 12, 2007

To My Friend

For today, I am setting aside cynism for the way that society is set up.

Instead, I'm going to express my admiration for my friend Crystal.

Crystal's mom recently was diagnosed with breast cancer. She's better now, but for awhile there it was pretty touch and go. Crystal felt helpless, as many would be in her situation.

But, instead of forgetting about her experience, she decided that she will try and assist those that she can help. She has decided that she will donate part of her liver to someone who needs a liver transplant.

The best part is the liver regeneriates. In about a month, she'll have regrown the part of the liver she donated, and she quite probably will save someones life.

I'm in awe: she is willing to literally give a piece of herself to save someone else: someone she doesn't even know. She is doing what she can to ease the suffering of others.

That is inspiring.

3 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that Crystal's idea of donating liver is extraordinary in it's generosity. Even inspiring. But I'm not sure if I agree with your (Cass') decision to post that in a public blog. After all, it's still in the planning phase (from what she told me the other day at least). And here's the rub: The more people discuss Crystal's decision, the more pressure it places on Crystal to actually go through with the procedure. Crystal actually ends up paying someone to take her liver. They don't cover all her fees, after all. I would totally understand if she panicked and changed her mind or something. And I'm sure her friends would understand as well.

Crystal, if you read this, know that we as your friends both love and respect you greatly, and will continue to do so, regardless of your decision in this matter. It's incredibly inspiring, but I don't think anyone expected something of this magnitude from you, or anyone else. I wish you the best of luck, no matter what you decide to do.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Goddess Cassandra said...

Everbody in our little group of friends has, or will have heard of this in short time. I was not aware that this was a secret. Everyone else, does not know who the hell I'm talking about. If Crystal doesn't want this up, I am more than willing to take it down. Otherwise, I will be keeping it up.

This should not be taken as an invitation of pressure. If she decides NOT to go through with it, I will not judge her at all.

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i did plan to keep it a secret until everything was finalized. it's comforting to know that i have such wonderful friends. i could not be more fortunate. you have no idea how much i appreciate your care and support. i will go through with it if my liver permits. keep the post up, i don't mind. i'm no heroine. helping someone in need should not be extraordinary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home