Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I want to believe Obama

I read the transcript of Obama's speech, and I cried. I cried because he said much more eloquently anything I've ever tried to explain about race relations in this country. I cried because it resonated with me. It resonated with me because I have had that cringe moments for family I loved. I understand the tip-toeing around conversations about race, because I'm afraid to face my own racism, and I'm afraid to expose my own ignorance and bigotry. I can remember when I was still religious, and when those bright moments of hope that I got from being part of a community were blighted by the horrible things the pastor said. And I understand the crushing cynicism that I fight against every time I read about this or that thing, or feel the sting of sexism, or hear about racism.

I want this to be the dominant discourse of American politics: not the sloganeering, not the focus testing, but real conversations about the problems in the United States.

4 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Goddess Cassandra said...

This post is for a conversation about Obama, racism, heck, I'll even take discourse about politics in general. There are plenty of abortion threads; go post your insane sites there.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Teddy said...

I got a ticket to go see him speak.

http://nddemnpl.blogspot.com/2008/03/tickets-available-online-for-obama.html

TRH

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think many people feel this way. I really hope that Obama running, will spur a new hope in young people in America, that there is a real opportunity to change how politics are carried out. Obama is a symbol on how to carry out politics without slandering.

You might want to check out:
Change Congress.

Change congress is another movement to help eliminate corrupt environment that is American poltics at the moment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home